Frequently Asked Questions About Deaf Education Teachers

What do teachers of deaf and hard of hearing students do?

Teachers of deaf and hard of hearing students may find employment in various program models including those listed below.

  • Consultants
    Teachers working as consultants generally provide indirect services to students enrolled in regular classes in their neighborhood schools. They often serve as consultants to regular education teachers and coordinate all services provided to students. For example, they typically maintain assistive technologies, ensure appropriate assessments, and coordinate related service providers (e.g., interpreters, speech pathologists).

  • Itinerant Teachers
    Teachers working as itinerant teachers generally provide a combination of indirect and direct services such as tutoring students who are enrolled in regular classes in their neighborhood schools.

  • Resource Room Teachers
    Teachers working in the resource classrooms generally provide direct instruction to students such as tutoring them in subjects for which they are mainstreamed. They also teach special skills not presented in the regular classroom context and serve as a resource to regular classroom teachers.

  • Self-Contained Teachers in Neighborhood Schools
    Teachers working in special classes generally teach students in a self-contained classroom for more than half of the school day. The teacher provides an intensive academic program and unique skills training. Student needs are such that major curriculum modification and mode of instruction are unique, precluding regular classroom placement.

  • Self-Contained Teachers in Residential Schools
    Teachers working in residential schools generally teach students in self-contained classes for the entire day either in preschool, elementary, secondary, or career technology classrooms.

Deaf Education Frequently Asked Questions