What is the Internet?
- "The Internet is the largest computer system in the world."
- "The Internet consists of thousands of networks connected together around the world."
- "A network is a group of connected computers that exchange information and share equipment. Each government, company and organization is responsible for maintaining its own network."
- "No one organization owns or controls the Internet. There is no government regulation and no one censors the information made available."
- "If part of the Internet fails, information finds a new route around the disabled computers."
- "The Internet is often called the "Information Superhighway" or "Cyberspace."
How did the Internet get started?
pp 4-5 of "Internet and World Wide Web Simplified" (1995). IDG Books Worldwide, Inc.: Foster City, CA.
"Day 1" Home Page How does it work? Who pays for it? What can you do on it? What hardware, software and access providers to you need to use it?