Subj: SIGN LANGUAGE & BILINGUALISM IN DEAF EDUCATION
Date: 97-02-06 20:55:46 EST
From: ich_abcd/kolhapur@DARTMAIL.DARTNET.COM (DR. Deshmukh)
Sender: EDUDEAF@LSV.UKY.EDU (A Practical Discussion List Regarding Deaf Education)
Reply-to: EDUDEAF@LSV.UKY.EDU (A Practical Discussion List Regarding Deaf Education)
To: EDUDEAF@LSV.UKY.EDU (Multiple recipients of list EDUDEAF)
* ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE FIRST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK WRITTEN BY INDIAN AUTHOR * --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are 18 articles which includes following topics- The Deaf Way- A
memorable Experience,Bilingualism in Deaf Education,Sign Language: AN
Inalienable Right,Oralism & Sign Language,Status of Sign Language in Deaf
Education in India,Deaf people & Bilingualism,Bonaventura Model,Are signed
Language 'Real' Languages ?,WFD Resolutions,Inspiring Themes etc.
* First book written by an Indian author on the vital subject of 'Bilingualism'
* It clears the misunderstandings,misconceptions & prejudices regarding 'Sign Language'
* It gives detail information about the Deaf Way & The Deaf Culture.
* It gives detail explanation about 'Critical period,Language Acquisition & Language Learning.
* A must for all the members of the Deaf Community i.e.the deaf,their teachers, parents,family members,educationists,policy makers and people working with the deaf etc.
This Book is appreciated and recommended by
* Ms. Lissa Kauppinen, President World Federation Of The Deaf [WFD]
* Dr. Yerker Anderssen,Ex - President,WFD
* Dr. Mervin Gzrretson,co-ordinator,The Deaf Way.
* Dr. Laurz Ann petitto, Associate professor Director:Cognitive Nehroscinence Laboratory for Sign Language & Cognition ;Members: McDonnell-pew Centre for Cognitive Neurascience,Mc Gill Univercity,Montreal,Canada.
Laminated Covers,Size 14 x 21 cm,more than 50 photographs & Blocks,pages 188
Price: U.S. $ 10/-
For direct delivery please send D.D. [Demand Draft] of U.S. $10/- in favour of "Deaf Foundation" Payable at Ichalkaranji,[India]
Post your letters to the address given below.......
About The Author: -----------------
Dr. Dilip Deshmukh is involved with Deaf Education since last 16 years.Up 'till now he has presented 4 papers on "Deafness" at international conferences. He is a co-investigator of Indo-USA Collaborative Clinical Research project entitled "Nonsyndromic Hereditary Hearings Impairment Gene mapping " with NIDCD (National Institute on Deafness & other communication Disorders,Bethesda Maryland,U.S.A.) He is a strong supporter of "Sign Language & Bilingualism in Deaf education". To enhance this movement Dr. Deshmukh has enrolled himself as a "Rotary Volunteer" through which he has organized on day 'Orientation Course' at different places in India viz. Delhi,Bhopal,Bombay,Goa,Benglore etc. He was the main coordinator of the 'State Level Seminar on sign Language' organized by the Rotary Club of in December 1994,which was attended by Ams. Liisa Kauppinen,president world federation of the Deaf. He has written several articles on this subject in various magazines,bulletins,newspapers.His article titled "status of sign language in Deaf Education in India" was published in the Spring 1994 issue of "Signpost" (publication of International Sign Linguistics Association) and in the "Deaf American Monograph 1995" published by the National Association of the Deaf U.S.A.
The opposition to sign language is because of misunderstandings,misconceptions & ignorance.TO clear the same One Day Orientation Course is found to of immense help for teachers,parents,family members & people working for the deaf.
IF ANYBODY IS INTERESTED IN ORGANIZING THIS ORIENTATION COURSE PLEASE CONTACT.... ...........
DR. DILIP DESHMUKH
C/o Dr. Deshmukh Nursing Home,Sangram Chauk,
Ichalkaranji- 416 115, Dist.Kolhapur,Maharashtra,INDIA
Phones:91-230-423156 / 432964
There is a space between abcd & ich...No other spaces allowed
Uploaded by: B.J. Lawrence / Kent State University / Deaf Education Major