1994 Meeting Minutes
Association of College Educators - Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing
February 2, 1994
Padre Island, Texas
Executive Board Meeting
Meeting called to order by President Sass-Lehrer.
|Present:|| ||Marilyn Sass-Lehrer, President|
| ||Paul Crutchfield, President Elect|
| ||Tom Jones, Publication Committee|
| ||Joseph Innes, Secretary|
| ||Jill Stoefen-Fisher, Treasurer|
|Visitors:|| ||Kathee Christensen, CED President|
1.1 Crutchfield moved to approve as submitted. (Passed)
2.0 Program Information (Crutchfield)
All planned and announced sessions will be conducted, with exception of one by Roberta Traux who is unable to attend the conference.
3.0 Business Meeting Agenda
3.1 Approved the addition of two agenda items:
- Grants (Information and Discussion)
- Networking Ad Hoc Committee (Information and Action)
3.2 The Executive Board (Sass-Lehrer) agreed to recommend to the full membership that the Association approve the
- revised CED Bylaws and Constitution.
3.2.1 Noted the intent of President-Elect Crutchfield to address the revision of the CED Bylaws pertaining to
- organizational membership within CED.
4.1 After considerable discussion related to dissemination requirements and expectations, prior to voting, it was agreed
- that the Spring edition of the ACE-DHH News will include any proposed revisions and also a request for a vote.
4.2 In Section 1.1.1 the term "...regular faculty member..." is used to provide a distinction between full-time and
- part-time faculty, as well as faculty who may be full-time at a given institution, but devote only part of their work
- units to the preparation of teachers of the deaf and hard-of-hearing. Given the diverse nature of faculty
- appointments and the need to allow flexibility, the Executive Board (Sass-Lehrer) moved to recommend to
- the membership that the term regular in Section 1.1.1 be omitted. (Passed)
4.3 Sass-Lehrer moved to recommend to the membership that Emeritus members be given the same voting rights as
- Regular members. (Passed)
4.3.1 The Executive Board agreed to recommend that a statement identical to Section 1.2.1 be inserted after
- Section 2.2.1, and that subsequent sections be re-numbered accordingly.
4.4 Sass-Lehrer moved to recommend to the membership the revision of Section 5.1 as follows: Special as hoc
- committees may be established by the Executive Committee. (Passed)
There is a notable increase in the cost of the association's operations. These are partly attributed to increased travel costs, an increase in advocacy and legislative activities, and the increase use of interpreters. Other incidental costs are also rising and the current dues structure is deemed inadequate for meeting future obligations and needs.
5.1 The Executive Board agreed to recommend to the membership that the annual cost of Associate and Emeritus
- memberships be increased from $30.00 to $40.00.
5.2 The Executive Board agreed to recommend to the membership that the annual cost of Associate and Emeritus
- memberships be increased from $15.00 to $25.00.
5.3 The Executive Board agreed to recommend to the membership that the annual cost of a Student membership be
- increased from $15.00 to $25.00.
The practice of passing out voting cards at registration, to all paid members, will not be in effect at this conference. The treasurer will ascertain the appropriateness of each individual to vote.
7.0 American Society for Deaf Children application for membership in CED
Thee was discussion related to the CED constitution and bylaws, and the need for CED to develop a screening process and a set of criteria that can be used to properly evaluate requests for membership. The Executive Board agreed to recommend to the membership that ASDC be accepted as a CED member Association.
8.0 Legislative Advocacy
8.1 The Executive Board received a report (Innes) on A.C.T.I.O.N., a coalition formed to ensure that the
- alternative placements" will remain a viable part of the IDEA which is up for re-authorization in 1995. Discussions
- are already beginning at the committee level and the meetings as OSERS and OSEP.
8.2 The Executive Board (Sass-Lehrer) agreed to recommend to the membership that ACE-DHH prepare to give
- Congressional testimony during the IDEA reauthorization process.
8.3 The Executive Board (Sass-Lehrer) agreed to recommend to the membership that ACE-DHH establish an ad hoc
- committee to develop a position paper on Full Inclusion.
Respectully submitted by
Joseph J. Innes