Reading Curriculum Portfolio Home Page
WICKCLIFFE CITY SCHOOLS
- Teachers use Literacy Profiles Handbook from the School Programs Division, Ministry of Education in Victoria, Australia. It is the checklist for literacy development through high
- Teachers use a variety of trade books in addition to the suggested trade books.
- Teachers use a variety of checklists for reading and writing profiles.
Common Instructional Strategies:
- Students are given many opportunities to use language to construct meaning from print.
- Teachers use a variety of graphic organizers.
- Teachers use storytelling for all content areas.
- Teachers use DRTA activities and silent reading.
- Teachers have reading and writing workshops.
- Teachers interpret through the air, while the students read during DRTAs.
- Teachers use predictable books.
- Teachers provide journal folders for writing.
Common Assessment Strategies
- Teachers use Candle and a variety of checklists.
- Teachers keep an ongoing assessment folder throughout the year that contains checklists,
writing samples, and anecdotal notes on progress for each student.
- Class participation during reading activities is assessed.
- Completion of graphic organizers during reading activities are assessed.
- Teachers assess grammar, handwriting, and spelling.
Uploaded by: Jessica Soltesz/Kent State University/Deaf Education Major