- American Sign Language (ASL)
- Mashie (1995) indicates that ASL is used in the U.S. and Canada, and is recognized as a formal language.
- In the classroom, it is yet another method used to provide deaf students with a mode of communication.
- Bilingual/Bicultural programs bring ASL into the classroom as the deaf child’s native language. English then become the child’s second language.
- The Bi/Bi programs use ASL to teach English. These strategies to teach the English language are very effective.