Objective 1.4: Multi-state Certification and Preparation
Team's Location Map
University of New Orleans
IP Address: na
You are invited to become involved! Following is a selection of possible activities for this Objective:
- Collaborate with another college/university, using distance technologies, on course development and delivery and co-teaching of
a course or courses. Collaborations can be faculty with faculty or student with student (note: you do not need to be in the Southeast
Region to participate in this activity).
- Needed: a state representative from Florida, Georgia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands to be the liaison between this Objective, SERRC (Southeast Regional Resource Center), the college/ university, the state director of education, and state certification
- Participate in a pilot regional model for distance education collaboration and the possible development of cross-state certification in the Southeast Region. You must be in the Southeast Region and be willing to commit to working with your college/university’s administration and SERCC to gain a memorandum of understanding between participating universities for sharing of courses, students, and possible in-state tuition for students participating in the pilot.
Objective's Overall Goals (as outlined in grant proposal):
- In collaboration with the Southeast Regional Resource Center (SERRC), conduct a needs assessment of the current availability of d/hh teachers and the certification requirements of the 8 Southeastern states (i.e., AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, OK & TX) associated with the SERRC. Outcome: Baseline empirical data.
- In collaboration with SERRC, establish a “Memorandum of Understanding,” (see Appendix G) signed by the Directors of Special Education and the Directors of Certification from each of the eight southeastern states, concerning the a) critical shortage of d/hh teachers, b) need for a flexible, multi-state d/hh teacher preparation model, c) need for a multi-state d/hh teacher certification model and d) need for a long-term plan to resolve the d/hh teacher shortage. Outcome: A “Memorandum of Understanding.”
- With SERRC, and through the use of Web-based videoconferencing, establish a multi-state d/hh teacher preparation and certification model for the 8 southeastern states. Outcome: A pilot investigation.
- In collaboration with SERRC, conduct research concerning the viability of a Web-based, video conferencing-facilitated, multi-state d/hh teacher preparation and certification model to increase the availability of d/hh teachers for the eight southeastern states. Outcome: Empirical evidence.
- Disseminate the resulting research concerning the viability of a Web-based, video conferencing-facilitated, multi-state d/hh teacher preparation and certification model for the eight southeastern states. Outcome: Increase in the magnitude of the grant’s impact by assisting institutions of higher education (IHEs) in their investigation of the use of Web-based video conferencing to establish multi-state teacher preparation and certification models.
Page last updated: 9/25/06